one final post from the past months before I exhaust my reserves.
this one was started as a blatant rip-off of my framed frame stack a while back, and it wasn’t very interesting to me.
I spent 25 minutes trying to make an arch on the top of this dumb guy, and never managed to make it work. I knew I wasn’t doing it correctly, and I knew it wasn’t going to work, but… something in my stubborn nature kept me at it.
this stack isn’t very “smart” or well constructed, but formally it still sort of made me happy, if only a little. the base is another one of my throw-away, “stack crap till you have the height you want” structures. I think I initially had some idea about the transition of a haphazard base of large scale elements to a more detailed and careful set of layers above, but instead we had this thing just sort of waltz into existence. I guess you have to take what you can get.
the final thought is a dissatisfaction that’s been growing in me. there are a few recent exceptions, but far too often I find my pieces are essentially meant as 2d images – to be viewed head on and looked through, with very little consideration for the sides. it would be good to start approaching these things as proper sculptures that are meant to be viewed from many angles, possessing varied qualities and strengths. color and cohesion of individual elements should be thought about more strongly, as well.
I hurt myself recently. I had meant to go out tuesday night or tonight to build up more, but I wimped out. I hope to go out this weekend. I have one more stack waiting to be posted – it was constructed sunday, and I’m quite proud of it. I hope you all will enjoy it too.